Techie warning: This post is about technical stuff... If you're a programmer, you'll get it.
Right now I feel like a dumb nut. I've spent yesterday afternoon narrowing down a bottleneck in some software I've programmed and I just found the problem. My query to the database for a zipcode was like this:
SELECT * FROM Zipcodes WHERE zipcode = 64101
The zipcode field was indexed, it was doing what it should but was taking .005 of a second. Not long unless you start doing it for hundreds or thousands of zipcodes; then it becomes seconds worth of waiting. The problem was the
zipcode field was a string field and I was using an integer. So I changed the query to:
SELECT * FROM Zipcodes WHERE zipcode = "64101"
And my execution time dropped to 0.0006. Much, much, more manageable.
Sometimes its the simplest things. I don't know how many times I looked at that query before it dawned on me that the integer-to-string conversion was happening on every query.